Symphony - Instructions for use
Symphony double electric breast pump
The research-based Symphony breast pump has been developed specifically to support mums throughout their breastfeeding journey: to initiate, build and maintain an adequate milk supply. Symphony is ideal for long-term and frequent pumping. You can continue using the hospital-grade pump you used in the maternity unit and decide later which personal pump to buy. With the Medela pump sets, you can express your breast milk from the comfort of your own home using your Medela Symphony rental breast pump. The pump sets provide you with everything you need as a breastfeeding mum.
Natural breast pumping
The emotional closeness and the bond between mum and baby during breastfeeding are very special. It is no wonder, then, that mums are reluctant to place their trust in a breast pump. But when direct breastfeeding is not possible or you are experiencing difficulties, switching to a breast pump might be very helpful.
Based on clinical research, Medela developed the breast pump Symphony that mimics the natural sucking behaviour of your baby at the breast, thereby stimulating the flow of milk. This means that you can pump more breast milk in less time, when pumping at maximum comfort vacuum.
Benefits of double pumping and 2-Phase Expression technology
The combination of double pumping and Medela's 2-Phase Expression technology provides the following benefits:
- Time saving – you can pump more milk in less time
- Maintains your milk supply when direct breastfeeding is not possible
- Your milk has a higher energy content – especially beneficial if your baby was born preterm
- Comfortable and efficient to use
Benefits of Symphony breast pump
The hospital-grade, multi-user Symphony breast pump with its technical features and accessories is based on clinical research and is designed to help you meet your individual needs throughout your breastfeeding journey.
Symphony features Medela’s initiation technology (available in Symphony PLUS card) and 2-Phase Expression technology, comes with overflow protection and is equipped for double and single pumping.
The pump set includes a PersonalFit Breast Shield in size M (24mm). Additional sizes are available separately: S (21mm), L (27mm), XL (30mm) and XXL (36mm). Download sizing guide for PersonalFit Breast Shield HERE.
All parts that come into contact with milk are BPA- and phthalate-free.
Rental fees may be covered by some health insurance companies.
- Supports you to successfully initiate, build and maintain an adequate milk production
- Helps you initiate lactation when using the INITIATE program (only available in Symphony PLUS card)
- Assists you to build and maintain your milk production when using the MAINTAIN program (available in both Symphony Standard card and Symphony PLUS card)
- Particularly gentle on extremely sensitive breast tissue
- Alleviates symptoms of engorgement and helps heal mastitis
- Brings out flat or inverted nipples
- Easy to use and pleasingly quiet operation
Symphony PLUS breast pump with program card
The Symphony rental breast pump contains the Symphony PLUS program card. This card includes two different pumping programs for your rental breast pump. The INITIATE program supports you to effectively initiate milk production. The MAINTAIN program, meanwhile, is designed to optimise milk output after your milk comes in to help you build and maintain milk supply. When you use the Symphony breast pump, simply choose the program that reflects your needs to support an optimal pumping result for you and your baby.
Designed to mimic the natural sucking pattern of a term born baby
Medela has developed the two Symphony PLUS pumping programs based on study results and findings to support mums of preterm and term infants to initiate, build and maintain milk production1
The Symphony initiation technology mimics the sucking and pausing pattern of a term born baby in the first days of lactation and supports you to effectively initiate milk production.
To optimise milk output and help you maintain milk supply, the Symphony with its 2-Phase Expression technology mimics the natural sucking pattern of a term born baby at the breast after the milk comes in.
These two technologies are included in the Symphony rental breast pump as the two Symphony PLUS pumping programs, INITIATE and MAINTAIN.
Studies have shown that pump-dependent mums who use the INITIATE program followed by the MAINTAIN program achieve significantly higher daily milk volumes over the first two weeks.1
- Symphony PLUS is effective for mums of preterm and term infants
- Mums using the INITIATE program followed by the MAINTAIN program achieved significantly higher daily milk volumes over the first two weeks1
- Symphony PLUS helps you initiate lactation when using the INITIATE program
- Symphony PLUS assists you to build and maintain your milk production when using the MAINTAIN program.
- Symphony PLUS helps you to optimise milk output during established lactation
1. Meier, P.P., Engstrom, J.L., Janes, J.E., Jegier, B.J., & Loera, F. Breast pump suction patterns that mimic the human infant during breastfeeding: Greater milk output in less time spent pumping for breast pump-dependent mothers with premature infants. J Perinatol 32, 103-110 (2012).
2. Torowicz, D.L., Seelhorst, A., Froh, E.B., Spatz, D.L. Human milk and breastfeeding outcomes in infants with congenital heart disease. Breastfeed Med 10, 31-37 (2015).
3. Kent, J.C. et al. Importance of vacuum for breastmilk expression. Breastfeed Med 3, 11-19 (2008).
4. Meier, P.P. et al. A comparison of the efficiency, efficacy, comfort, and convenience of two hospital-grade electric breast pumps for mothers of very low birthweight infants. Breastfeed Med 3, 141-150 (2008).
5. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Effect of vacuum profile on breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 353-360 (2002).
6. Burton, P. et al. Randomized trial comparing the effectiveness of 2 electric breast pumps in the NICU. J Hum Lact 29, 412-419 (2013).
7. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Efficacy of breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 344-352 (2002).
8. Prime, D.K., Garbin, C.P., Hartmann, P.E., & Kent, J.C. Simultaneous breast expression in breastfeeding women is more efficacious than sequential breast expression. Breastfeed Med 7, 442-447 (2012).
9. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Efficacy of breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 344-352 (2002).
10. Kent, J.C. et al. Volume and frequency of breastfeeds and fat content of breastmilk throughout the day. Pediatrics 117, e387-e395 (2006).
11. Prime, D.K., Geddes, D.T., Hepworth, A.R., Trengove, N.J., & Hartmann, P.E. Comparison of the patterns of milk ejection during repeated breast expression sessions in women. Breastfeed Med 6, 183 (2011).
12. Kent, J.C., Ramsay, D.T., Doherty, D., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Response of breasts to different stimulation patterns of an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 19, 179-186 (2003).